Friday, June 29, 2012

On the road to Fort Nelson


The pickup speaks:  It was so welcome to have the day off yesterday, when M & N spent the day in Dawson Creek (DC) and did a lot of walking.  Today I had to work again.  I am getting dirty, but I still look a lot cleaner than the local pickups around here.  Shortly after leaving DC, I was told to get off Hyway 97 and take the old Alaska Road.  I found out why very soon.  M wanted me to drive over a wood suspension bridge built in 1943, and is still in use today.  I was a bit nervous, but M was quite nostalgic, since he had gone over this same bridge 60 years ago.  I do like to drive in light traffic, and except for driving through Fort St. John,  my job was easy.  M & N were quite excited when they saw a moose and her young calf near the road.  I was thankful that she didn't run on to the road and make a mess of me.  I am also glad that mosquitoes don't bother me.  I had to wait in the parking lot for quite a spell, while M & N took a walk in the woods.  I was pretty proud of myself when M & N visited the Heritage Museum in Fort Nelson.  Those vehicles were so old, I felt like a young thing.  And of all the places I am told to go, they had me find a cemetery....again on the old Alaska hyway.  I don't understand this at all, but it has something to do with a cache...geocaching.  M was all excited,  because he found the treasure.  I am sorry about having such an appetite for fuel, especially since it comes to about $5.50 a gallon.  Oh my!  Now I heard rumblings that we will leave early tomorrow, about 6:00.  It will be a long day.  So I think I will say "Good night!"

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dad and Mom,
    I think I can post on your site now. We will see. I would have been SO scared to cross that bridge but what a cool picture! Sorry gas is so expensive. It is getting cheaper here again. What an experience you are having and I am so glad you are sharing it with us. Love you much! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there to the pickup!
    Tell Mo and Nell that they are pretty lucky to have you along. Not only do you obey their instructions, you also write very well. Sounds like the three of you are off to a good start. I enjoy reading about your adventures. Tell Mo and Nell that I got to visit Jeannie yesterday. That was good!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete